From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Security
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 10:08:32
1 140320 john wrote:
2 > After recently reading about Windigo,
3 > I am quesstioning how good my security is on my Gentoo box.
4 > I am only a desktop user with iptables and clamav installed
5 > and occasionally running chkrootkit.
6 > Would you recommend any other forms of security
7 > -- snort, selinux, hardened etc -- that I should be using?
8 > I may be a touch neurotic but would hate to think I have been infected!
9
10 Others mb able to offer more professional advice,
11 but as a desktop user of Gentoo for > 10 yr , I'ld say don't worry.
12 I read the Windigo PDF (via LWN)
13 & saw no explanation of any weakness in the Linux software :
14 it's very long on all the bad things which can happen,
15 esp to M$ Windows systems, if a server or network gets infected,
16 but it looked as if the only way that could happen on a Linux box
17 wb if someone finds out its root password, ie sysadmin carelessness.
18
19 HTH
23 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
24 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
25 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca