From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: akater <nuclearspace@×××××.com>
Cc: gnu-emacs@g.o, gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: What files does GNU Emacs 27 load on startup on Gentoo, and in what order?
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2021 11:57:08
1 >>>>> On Tue, 06 Jul 2021, akater wrote:
2
3 > Info node “The Emacs Initialization File” mentions
4
5 > - init.el which is described in enough detail
6
7 > - default.el which is found via “the standard search path for libraries”
8 > — what would that be?
9
10 > - site-start.el instead of which Gentoo has site-gentoo.el (I guess) —
11 > but when is it loaded and how does Emacs know to load site-gentoo.el?
12 > and why isn't it compiled?
13
14 > - early-init.el, “loaded before the package system and GUI is
15 > initialized” — is it loaded before or after site-gentoo?
16
17 They're run in the order 1. early-init.el, 2. site-start.el, 3. init.el
18 (or equivalently ~/.emacs or ~/.emacs.el), 4. default.el.
19
20 Gentoo has only site-start.el but no default.el, so the user can
21 override the site configuration in their private init file.
22
23 One difference to the upstream default is that we place site-start.el
24 in /etc/emacs (rather than /usr/share/emacs) because it is a
25 configuration file. Typically, site-start.el will then load
26 site-gentoo.el which contains initialization for the installed elisp
27 packages.
28
29 > And does Gentoo load anything else, by chance?
30
31 I guess /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/subdirs.el qualifies for that, it
32 adds all package dirs to the load-path.
33
34 Ulrich