From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] fluxbox startup
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 09:01:30
1 2010/5/25 <fajfusio@××.pl>:
2 > Hello
3 >
4 > After an upgrade about a week ago my fluxbox stopped beeing launched at the
5 > xdm startup
6 > after I log on. Fluxbox starts with no problem using startx command.
7 >
8 > My /etc/rc.conf has the following entry:
9 > XSESSION="fluxbox"
10
11 This entry seems to be used when you run startx from the console,
12 that's why you can launch fluxbox when you run startx. Of course the
13 question is what did you emerge recently and which configuration files
14 did that change. If you use genlop to check your emerge history (or
15 look in /var/log/emerge.log) that may give some pointers.
16
17 > My /etc/conf.d/xdm has the following entry:
18 > DISPLAYMANAGER="gdm"
19 >
20 > My ~/.xinitrc has the following entry:
21 > exec startfluxbox
22 >
23 > Any suggestions what is wrong with my config are appreciated.
24
25 None of the above are 'wrong' as such. They are sourced by startx.
26
27 The question then is what is gdm parsing to find which sessions to
28 launch. Display Managers usually check what you have in:
29
30 /etc/X11/Sessions/
31
32 and offer these as a session option to login. I think that gdm is
33 probably looking in /usr/share/xsessions/* where it expects to find
34 fluxbox.desktop and will offer this as a login session option (not
35 sure because I do not have gdm to check).
36
37 Display Manager may also look to see if the environment variable
38 XSESSION is set. Therefore you can try setting this in
39 /etc/env.d/90xsession like this, just in case it is sourced:
40
41 XSESSION="fluxbox"
42
43 PS. You may need to reboot for good measure.
44 --
45 Regards,
46 Mick