From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] initial compile time
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 22:10:16
1 On 29/08/2017 21:30, Dale wrote:
2 > Mick wrote:
3 >> On Tuesday, 29 August 2017 12:08:12 BST Alan McKinnon wrote:
6 >> PS. Did I mention you would have to do all of the above using a dial-up modem,
7 >> which would require off-tree modules, because your PC came with a Winmodem?
8 >>
9 >> PPS. In case you have never been cursed with using a winmodem, check the 2nd
10 >> bullet point at the bottom of this page:
11 >>
12 >> http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/winmodem.html
16 > Could we not mention dial-u? It brings back bad memories. LOL I used
17 > to hate when OOo would update, which took about 26 to 28 hours to
18 > download, only to have it update again three or four days later.
19 > Obviously, none of the previous tarball could be used. :-@
20 >
21 > I've never done a stage 1 install but if I had a decent spare rig to
22 > play with, I'd give it a shot. I'd just try not to shoot myself in the
23 > foot. o_O
24
25 No Dale, please actually go and do it. All of Gentoo will appreciate it,
26 because you will be the guy that finds every last bug still hiding in
27 the process.
28
29 You know this will happen, so we are counting on you!
32 Alan McKinnon
33 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com