From: Henk Boom <lunarc.lists@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Problems after long-due emerge -uDN world
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 23:28:19
1 Hi, I did an update last week-end after not doing one since the spring
2 (I know, naughty me >_>). Aside from the really horrible libexpat
3 update which took me most of the weekend to fix, I'm having some
4 behaviour issues now, with which I would greatly appreciate help in
5 fixing.
6
7 First, my alt key seems not to work properly. It works fine in regular
8 programs (e.g. alt-f in firefox pulls down the file menu properly),
9 but not for wm or X-related things. For example, I can no longer use
10 ctrl-alt-fx to change to a VT from with X. Control-alt-backspace
11 _does_ work, and I can switch to a VT if I do it quick before before
12 it finishes restarting, at which point the shortcut works fine until I
13 get back into the X display. With my wm (xfwm), the keyboard shortcut
14 settings program will detect the alt key fine when I'm setting
15 shortcuts, but any shortcut involving alt will not work when I
16 actually try to use it. The normal alt-drag to move windows and such
17 doesn't work either.
18
19 The second problem is that all of my fonts in X are suddenly a couple
20 sizes too big. If I run "xrandr --dpi 75" the font sizes go back to
21 normal in programs I start afterward.
22
23 I followed the dpi guide on gentoo-wiki, but no DisplaySize setting in
24 my xorg.conf seems to make a difference. I see the following in
25 /var/log/Xorg.0.log when I try setting DisplaySize to 346 260:
26
27 ...
28 (**) intel(0): Display dimensions: (346, 260) mm
29 (**) intel(0): DPI set to (75, 100)
30 ...
31 (II) intel(0): Setting screen physical size to 270 x 203
32 ...
33
34 This suggests to me that my settings are getting overruled somehow. I
35 am using x11-drivers/xf86-video-i810-2.1.0 with x11-base/xorg-x11-7.2.
36
37 Any advice would be appreciated.
38
39 Henk Boom