From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Sweet Sweet Portage
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 22:02:40
1 Well,
2
3 I brought this up before. No need for argument, just test it out
4 for yourself.
5
6 Multiple times (over the last few weeks) I have run 'emerge -uDNvp
7 @world' and there are issues to deal with manually.
8
9 For example 'One or more updates/rebuilds have been skipped due to a
10 dependency conflict', type of fudd and other types of fudd is the
11 result, not all the time, but maybe 50% of the time.
14 Now, routinely, all I do is immediately issue this command
15 'emerge -uDt @world' and go have a coffee. An AMD 8 core, 32G
16 workstation does it's thang, leaving me a with just a smile after the
17 work is complete. No other actions, nadda, ziltch. Immediately, I then
18 run 'emerge -uDNvp world' (again, and routinely I get::
19
20 "These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
21
22 Calculating dependencies... done!
23
24 Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 KiB"
27 Just try it for yourself. It's like clockwork now. Smooth. I have over
28 1500 packages installed on a mostly stable but hacked out
29 /usr/local/portage/ and maybe 10% of the packages, that are much newer,
30 but portage is sweet, sweet, sweet now. There is inherent magic now, but,
31 I do not have time to ferret it out. Sure I can dive in, manually,
32 and I have done this to fix things, but, 'emerge -uDt @world' fixes
33 things, automagically; dozens of times as I update 3 or 4 times a week.
37 YMMV. --livin the dream, brah, livin the dream.....
38 hth,
39 James