From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Sweet Sweet Portage
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 22:02:40
Well,

I brought this up before. No need for argument, just test it out
for yourself.

Multiple times (over the last few weeks) I have run  'emerge -uDNvp
@world' and there are issues to deal with manually.

For example 'One or more updates/rebuilds have been skipped due to a
dependency conflict', type of fudd and other types of fudd is the
result, not all the time, but maybe 50% of the time.

Now, routinely, all I do is immediately issue this command
'emerge -uDt @world' and go have a coffee.  An AMD 8 core, 32G
workstation does it's thang, leaving me a with just a smile after the
work is complete. No other actions, nadda, ziltch. Immediately, I then
run  'emerge -uDNvp world' (again, and routinely I get::

"These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!

Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 KiB"

Just try it for yourself. It's like clockwork now. Smooth. I have over
1500 packages installed on a mostly stable but hacked out
/usr/local/portage/ and maybe 10% of the packages, that are much newer,
but portage is sweet, sweet, sweet now. There is inherent magic now, but,
I do not have time to ferret it out. Sure I can dive in, manually,
and I have done this to fix things, but, 'emerge -uDt @world' fixes
things, automagically; dozens of times as I update 3 or 4 times a week.

YMMV. --livin the dream, brah, livin the dream.....
hth,
James