From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Noob WiFi question (yes-or-no answer will suffice)
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2014 02:25:01
1 On 10/02/2014 10:05 PM, walt wrote:
2 > I did some googling and enabled the "appropriate" kernel drivers, then
3 > rebooted and now the output from ifconfig includes this interface:
4 >
5 > wlan0: flags=4099<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
6 > ether b8:a3:86:99:a8:d8 txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)
7 > RX packets 0 bytes 0 (0.0 B)
8 > RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
9 > TX packets 0 bytes 0 (0.0 B)
10 > TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0
11 >
12 > My yes-or-no question: does the appearance of "wlan0" imply that
13 > my new kernel drivers are the right ones for this particular D-Link
14 > WiFi adapter?
15 It's certainly a great sign, but it may or may not be enough. I'm by no
16 means an expert, but I believe I have to install some extra firmware
17 (b43-firmware) to use on my laptop as it's not in the kernel (unless I'm
18 clueless with kernel config). Without b43-firmware, the interface shows
19 up and is recognized, but can't be used iirc.
20 > If not, I'll either buy a better USB WiFi adapter or continue to
21 > google it.
22 >
23 > Thanks.
26 If you buy a new one, go with a PCI card. PCI is a much better bus than
27 USB - more power so the chipset does the majority of the processing
28 instead of the typical USB designs that offload a bunch of it to your
29 CPU. Also, if you buy a new one, I've had fantastic experiences with
30 Intel chipsets.
31
32 Alec