From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: ntp Vs openntp vis a vis Plasma desktop
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 14:34:57
1 On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 6:44 AM, Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On 06/16/2017 04:19 PM, Andrew Lowe wrote:
5 >> Good afternoon all,
6 >> Does anyone have any inside knowledge as to why 5.9.5 of KDE plasma
7 >> desktop did not require ntp whereas 5.10.5 does? I use Openntp and been
8 >> using KDE 5 for ages with the time being correct so was wondering why
9 >> now the requirement for net-misc/ntp specifically.
10 >>
11 >> Any thoughts, greatly appreciated,
12 >>
13 >> Andrew
17 > Someone raised the issue that the "time server" option in the date and
18 > time applet was greyed out on their system. It turns out that this
19 > occurs if neither ntpdate nor rdate binaries are present, so I added the
20 > dep. There's been some pushback on this so maybe it'll be reverted or
21 > maybe not. It's being tracked in bug #621754 for anyone who wants to
22 > chime in.
23 >
24 > Kind regards,
25 >
26 > Michael
29 Is it not possible to add it via a USE flag? Even if there are no real
30 compile time options, could the flag pull in ntp? I'm not sure
31 complaining about the addition of net-misc/ntp is reasonable; for one,
32 you're already installing KDE and all of its dependencies; for
33 another, that KDE is designed with one NTP implementation in mind may
34 be a flaw but that probably belongs on the KDE tracker.
35
36 On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 9:26 AM, Grant Edwards