From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Botched Raid1 install
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 17:58:51
1 On Friday, 29 July 2011 13:30:18 Michael Mol did opine thusly:
2 > On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 1:23 PM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
3 wrote:
4 > > Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo <at> gmail.com> writes:
5 > > I also intend to use ext4 for all 3 partitions, boot,root,swap;
6 > > unless there exist a strong, compelling reason to use
7 > > ext-2 for the boot partition ??? ease of recovery ?
8 >
9 > I gather that it's now possible to put your swap in a swap file on a
10 > filesystem, as opposed to giving it its own partition, but...why?
11
12 A swap partition is permanent - you pretty much always have it all the
13 time. You might not have it swapon'ed all the time, but the several GB
14 it takes up is always consumed on the disk. You can't easily free up
15 disk space to make room for a temporary swap partition, usually
16 something has to be unmounted first (to then be "fs-reduced" to make
17 space). If that partition is the only one (common on desktop systems)
18 it is mounted at / and you can't unmount it.
19
20 Swap *files* solve all these problems, all you need is enough free
21 space on the filesystems to accommodate the temporary swap you need.
22 LVM also goes a long way towards making this easier, but dealing with
23 LVM and mkswap is considerably more involved than just making a swap
24 file.
25
26 Rules of thumb:
27 Permanent swap = use a swap partition
28 Temporary swap = use a swap file.
32 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com