From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cleaning /var/lib/portage/packages -- a big mistake?
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 21:48:04
1 On 5/27/07, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > Hello Kevin O'Gorman,
3 >
4 > > I also cleaned out /usr/portage/packages (10 GB) but now emerge --sync
5 > > is complaining about a large number of them, and apparently cannot
6 > > update its cache. I just moved them to another partition, they're not
7 > > really gone, but I'd like to not be carrying around so many of them.
8 > >
9 > > I've been running with FEATURES="buildpkg" on in /etc/make.conf, so
10 > > I've accumulated a lot of
11 > > these things. How do I now clean up my act? If there's a way, I'd
12 > > like to keep building them, but be able to manage them without ruining
13 > > portage.
14 >
15 > You shouldn't be able to damage portage with this, because it doesn't
16 > need any binary packages, they are purely for your convenience.
17 >
18 > > Most of the messages said the package "should be deleted". This
19 > > mystifies my as in effect
20 > > that's what I already did. What does it want me to do?
21 > >
22 > > The emerge --sync died eventually. Maybe one or more of the packages
23 > > is more vital than most. So there may be packages I should not
24 > > manage. Here's the tail end of the output:
27 > > !!! Invalid binary package: '/usr/portage/packages/All/less-394.tbz2'
28 > > !!! This binary package is not recoverable and should be deleted.
29 > > !!! Invalid binary package:
30 > > '/usr/portage/packages/All/pycrypto-2.0.1-r5.tbz2'
31 > > !!! This binary package is not recoverable and should be deleted.
32 >
33 > I suspect you deleted the packages in /usr/portage/packages/All/ but not
34 > the symlinks in /usr/portage/packages/cate-gory. emerge symlinks and do
35 > symlinks -r -d /usr/portage/packages to get rid of them.
36 >
37 > In future, it may be safer to use eclean to remove your binary packages.
38
39 Thanks. I wasn't aware of 'eclean'. I'll be sure to use it next time.
40
41 ++ kevin
44 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
45 --