From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: New network cards default to "Y" with "make oldconfig"
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2019 14:55:09
1 On 2019-03-24, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Sunday, 24 March 2019 01:03:23 GMT Walter Dnes wrote:
3 >> When setting up a new kernel with "make oldconfig", almost all new
4 >> device drivers default to "N". The glaring exception is network cards.
5 >> They all seem to default to "Y". Is this a bug or a "feature"?
6 >
7 > It seems to be just to reveal the individual cards by that manufacturer.
8
9 Yes, and that's wrong. The default should be to build a kernel with
10 the same features/drivers as the old .config file. If the old config
11 file didn't have drivers for that vendor enabled, why should I have to
12 see all the options now?
13
14 > I don't see why it should differ from any other hardware options.
15 > Perhaps it's a leftover from a day long ago that no-one's thought to
16 > change.
17
18 Unless a new feature is some sort of safety or reliabiliyt fix, it
19 should default to "same as the old .config file".
22 Grant