From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} reliable USB extender?
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2015 20:28:26
1 On 2015-03-04, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I need to connect a Zebra LP2844 USB label printer at about 35 feet
4 > from a Gentoo machine. I got this:
5 >
6 > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L14ZTC
7 >
8 > but it is proving to be unreliable. The printer stops responding many
9 > times per day and needs to be power cycled. Is there a reliable way
10 > to make this connection?
11
12 Are you _required_ to use USB?
13
14 If I were you, I'd stick an an Ethernet connected RS232 port widget on
15 the printer and talk to it via Ethernet.
16
17 OTOH, if it's only 35 feet, you could just run a serial cable to it
18 (you might need to add a serial port to your host).
19
20 The LP2844 has a serial port, right?
21
22 <rant>
23 Using USB for anything other than keyboard and mouse is asking for
24 trouble. Due to MS/Intel's backing, and a few other historical
25 accidents, USB beat out _far_ better options like Firewire and gets
26 used/abused for all sorts of things for which it's not really
27 appropriate. But, it's still a horrible protocol and oughtn't be used
28 for anything where the Microsoft motto of "it sort of works most of
29 the time" isn't good enough.
30 </rant>
33 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Am I elected yet?
34 at
35 gmail.com