From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My harddisk doesn't want to spin down permanently
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 21:15:04
1 n 1/26/07, Jakob Buchgraber <jakob.buchgraber@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hello!
3 >
4 > I've been trying to get the standby of my harddisk work for hours. I am
5 > actually really frustrated :-) . My problem is that whenever I but my
6 > hdd to standby, it stays there for a few seconds and then comes back to
7 > work again. So I first thought that there must be any program accessing
8 > the harddisk on a regular basis. So I ran lm-profiler - but nothin'.
9
10 If the drive is mounted, yeah, I'd expect to be spinning up, but if
11 its not mounted then I dont see a reason for it to be spinning up.
12
13 If its mounted the kernel will most probably be doing disk-caching in
14 ram, and will probably be randomly probing the drive for data to stick
15 in the cache ( Ok, tbh, i dont know a lot about the internals of disk
16 caching, I'm just saying its feasible ).
17
18 If its unmounted I think its feasable that the SATA HOTSWAPability
19 function could be tripping the sata socket to see if theres anything
20 still there and waking it up *shrugs*
21
22 Mostly Uneducated guesses, but suppose it gives others a starting
23 point to look for possibilities :)
28 Kent
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list