From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Two problems with xdg-open
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 04:26:30
1 On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 19:23 -0500, Willie Wong wrote:
2 > Hi list:
3 >
4 > What exactly is xdg-open and how to I configure it to do what I want?
5 >
6 > The question came up because I am using jabref, a Java based bibtex
7 > management system. On my home machine, when I tried to open a PDF
8 > file, java throws a file-not-found error on "xdg-open". But I have
9 > xdg-utils installed, and xdg-open is found in /usr/bin. Right now I
10 > have gotten around the problem by configuring jabref explicitly to use
11 > xpdf to load PDF files. For all I know this is probably a
12 > environment/PATH issue in the load script for jabref.
13 >
14 > I took a look at the man page for xdg-open, and find the concept
15 > intriguing. The idea seems useful. But how does one go about "setting
16 > the default" programs for various documents?
17 >
18 > If I try to issue "xdg-open file.pdf", it tries to load firefox, which
19 > then asks me where to save the pdf file. This is rather obviously not
20 > the desired behaviour. Maybe I'm blind or something, but I don't see
21 > anything in the man page about how it determines what is the user's
22 > preferred application.
23
24 It's a simple bash script. There's no magic. Take a peek at it.
25
26 -a