From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Short question on eix-sync; emerge -up world
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 12:41:28
1 On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 09:52:51 +0000, Mick wrote:
2
3 > I haven't found a use for keeping the old KDE next to a new slotted
4 > version, so I unmerge the old one after the new installation is
5 > successfully completed.
6
7 You have just given a use for having the two side by side. Without
8 slotting, you'd have to remove the old version before using the new one.
9 For example, first kdelibs 3.5 is installed and 3.4 removed, then
10 kdebase, etc. Meanwhile you try to use KMail, which is still at 3.4, and
11 it won't work because its libs have gone.
15 Neil Bothwick
16
17 Seduced by the Chocolate side of the Force...