From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone running a Netbook satisfactorily on Gentoo?
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 10:31:49
1 Paul Hartman schrieb:
2 > On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
3 [...]
4 >>>
5 >>> 1. run xfce4 (already do)
6 >>> 2. compile with -Os (I was using -O2)
7 >>> 3. use ext2 (I was using ext3)
8 >>> 4. don't use laptop-mode (I didn't know it existed)
9 >>> 5. no syslog (does this mean don't even emerge a system logger like metalog?)
10 >>> 6. use elevator=noop at boot
11 >>> 7. deactivate DRI
12 >>> 8. upgrade RAM to the max
13 >> Which of these still apply when using a conventional HD instead of a
14 >> SSD in the netbook?
15 >
16 [...]
17 > Otherwise, I think normal laptop performance tuning guidelines would
18 > apply... Do whatever you can to reduce disk access. On my laptop I
19 > disabled swap, set the hdd to power off after X minutes of idle,
20 > disable disk cache in web browsers, use /dev/shm for portate tmpdir,
21 > disable cron and hald disk polling and slocate and all the other
22 > things that run in the background on their own and cause the disks to
23 > wake up. And cpu frequency scaling of course.
26 What do you mean with "disable [...] hald disk polling"? Deactivate hald
27 completely or is there a hidden switch I haven't yet discovered?