From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} Time for hardware upgrade(s)
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2011 18:08:07
1 > My motherboard is getting flaky and it's time for a new one.  I have
2 > an AMD 6000+ CPU, 4GB DDR2/800 RAM, 2TB SATA2 HD, Blu-Ray burner, PCI
3 > wireless card, 400W power supply, and ATX case.  I could replace any
4 > of these components if it's worthwhile for some new feature, but I may
5 > as well keep them if it's not.
6 >
7 > The most important thing is reliability and Linux compatibility but I
8 > also need HDMI and I figure USB 3.0 is a good idea.  The system is for
9 > playing music and movies, no gaming whatsoever.  If you're familiar
10 > with the current hardware scene, where would you go from here as far
11 > as a motherboard and other components?  Any features a Gentoo'er
12 > should look for?
13 >
14 > - Grant
15
16 Is Nvidia still the way to go instead of ATI? I use the nouveau
17 drivers with my onboard Nvidia chipset now and they've been fine for
18 the most part. I use a threaded ffmpeg to decode HD video instead of
19 VDPAU so I don't bother with nvidia-drivers.
20
21 - Grant