From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Breakage from recent updates to gnome-3.6 on ~amd64
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 01:12:56
1 I use mostly the cinnamon fork of gnome-shell but I also give gnome-shell
2 a try occasionally just to annoy myself :)
3
4 The gnome updates from Jan 1-2 caused me a bit of trouble, but I'm making
5 progress that might help some of you:
6
7 First, the addition of gstreamer-1.0 is now installed along side the
8 old gstreamer-0.10, which apparently has broken rhythmbox. At first I
9 thought that sound support was broken completely but after a few hours
10 of frustration I found the breakage is confined to rhythmbox and a bug
11 report is already filed.
12
13 Second, when I use gnome in fallback mode, I found that the multiload
14 panelapplet kept closing and refused to restart. I worked around that
15 headache by turning off background transparency in the gnome panel
16 settings menu.
17
18 Third, the cinnamon clone of the gnome multiload panel applet was also
19 broken, but the workaround is to update the applet from the 'Get new
20 applets' link on the cinnamon panel settings menu. The new version is
21 ignoring its own settings, but at least it works again. (The version
22 you want is the one by Orcus, which replaces the older one by Ebbes.)
23
24 I expect all of these bugs will be fixed when more gnome packages are
25 updated by the gentoo devs.
26
27 (BTW, I've switched to cinnamon because the upstream gnome devs are
28 soon dropping support for the fallback compatibility mode.)