From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xdm wont start
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 21:49:48
1 On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 10:24:01 -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
2
3 > >> /sbin/start-stop-daemon: stat /usr/bin/xdm: No such file or
4 > >> directory
5 > >
6 > > You don't have xdm installed, have you checked /etc/conf.d/xdm?
9 > I do have xinit, which installs /etc/init.d/xdm. I see no ebuild
10 > called xdm, so if there's something else I need, please tell me.
11
12 ]% eix -e xdm
13 * x11-apps/xdm
14 Available versions: 1.1.8 {debug ipv6 pam}
15 Homepage: http://xorg.freedesktop.org/
18 If you want to use xdm, you need to install it. This is different from
19 the xdm init script, which runs whichever display manager you tell it to.
20
21 If you look at the comments in /etc/conf.d/xdm, it tells you what the
22 options are. Follow it's advice to get it to use whichever display
23 manager you want. Alternatively, check a backup from before things stop
24 working and see what the file said then.
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 If you can smile when things go wrong then you have someone in mind to
31 blame.