From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Permissions error on starting X.
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2018 15:32:24
1 On 2018-11-03, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Hello, Gentoo.
3 >
4 > HEADS UP!!!
5 >
6 > If you start your X server from the command line with, e.g. startx, you
7 > now need to set the new(?) suid USE flag for the xorg-server package.
8
9 Yep, I tripped over this yesterday, when all of a sudden I couldn't
10 start X anymore. Thanks for the advanced notice on that one!
11
12 > The developers, in this instance, failed to raise the ebuild's version
13 > number from 1.20.3 when making this change, and also didn't notify users
14 > by a NEWS item, that I can see.
15
16 Yea, that seems like a major foul-up to me. I had to log in as root
17 so that I could start X, so that I could use google to try to figure
18 out what went wrong.
21 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! My LESLIE GORE record
22 at is BROKEN ...
23 gmail.com