From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Valmor de Almeida <val.gentoo@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] inaccessible virtual machine
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 13:09:41
1 On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 9:51 PM, Valmor de Almeida <val.gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hello,
4 >
5 > I have been using a windows 7 virtual machine guest with a gentoo linux
6 > virtualbox host for a while. I was never able to get sound working on
7 > the guest but it works on the host. Recently I decided to re-emerge
8 > virtualbox with the USE flag pulseaudio to try to get sound working.
9 > After the emerge (list below) I also re-emerged the
10 > virtualbox-modules-3.2.12; logged out and rebooted.
11 >
12 > Now when I try to start virtualbox, it lists the guest machine as
13 > inaccessible; no other information is provided by the virtualbox startup
14 > window. I would appreciate inputs on how to fix this.
15 >
16 > Thanks,
17 >
18 > --
19 > Valmor
23 A couple of questions:
24
25 1) Is the machine on a RAID partition or some other form of storage
26 which, for whatever reason, isn't mounted? I have that problem now and
27 again on my compute server. The Linux kernel guys haven't made my
28 drive D & E disk interfaces 100% reliable as of yet so in my case I
29 might have to reboot once or twice to get the drives recognized.
30
31 2) What kernel are you using. I saw a few messages this week on
32 Virtualbox problems when running the 2.6.38 series kernel. I'm running
33 2.6.38 and haven't seen them myself though.
34
35 Good luck,
36 Mark