From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] upgrading from kernel 2.6.24-rc6 to latest kernel
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 19:21:46
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 >
3 > Genuine analysis of Gentoo machines admined by someone who knows how to do it
4 > should that the machine can easily have only the features and software on it
5 > that the admin say it should have. Like LDAP - not everyone needs it. On a
6 > binary distro, if the maintainer supports it you usually get it too whether
7 > you like it or not. With Gentoo, USE is your friend. And this is gentoo's
8 > greatest strength - the ability to build something much closer to what you
9 > really want than is possible with a binary distro.
13 I can say this when comparing this rig running Mandrake and Gentoo.
14 Gentoo boots a LOT faster, apps open faster and there are fewer programs
15 installed. This can save on disk space if distfiles are cleaned out. I
16 don't clean mine but a person on broadband could or just share over a
17 network. Mandrake is just plain slow as syrup at the north pole. I may
18 have to test this theory one day. Actually do some measurements. only
19 thing is, Mandriva would have older packages in some cases since Gentoo
20 updates more often.
21
22 For me, Gentoo is just as customizable as Linus from Scratch but with a
23 nice package manager. That's how a describe Gentoo to someone who is at
24 least part geek or a full blooded nerd. ;-)
25
26 Dale
27