From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox 57.0.4 fails to build due to Rust 1.23
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2018 03:03:59
1 On Sat, 2018-01-27 at 18:17 +0000, Richard Bradfield wrote:
2 > Hi folks,
3 >
4 > Forgive me if this has been spotted elsewhere, it's not in this list
5 > yet
6 > as far as I can see.
7 >
8 > The excellent work to bring the version of Rust in ~amd64 up to date
9 > has
10 > had an unfortunate side effect, in that it now prevents Firefox from
11 > building. Firefox appears to only supports Rust 1.19 and no later.
12 >
13 > I get a failure in one of the Rust components, as the build converts
14 > warnings to errors, and an import is now unused in 1.23 as it's now
15 > implicitly in scope, according to this thread [1]
16 >
17 > I know this is only a minor point release, but I was hoping to update
18 > for the SPECTRE mitigations.
19 >
20 > Has anyone patched this themselves, or do I need to think about
21 > rolling
22 > the system rust back to 1.19?
23 >
24 > Emerge build log is attached, it's a bit noisy around the errors
25 > sadly.
28 > [1] https://www.reddit.com/r/rust/comments/7rjvfu/this_is_why_you_sho
29 > uld_not_treat_warnings_as/
30
31 This is https://bugs.gentoo.org/645718
32
33 Hopefully the problem just goes away with firefox 58, which is
34 available in mozilla overlay and should get to main tree soon (last I
35 heard some build tests were still running before introduction to main
36 tree).
37 Though if warnings are treated as errors still there too, then it'll
38 hit again at some point, I guess, unless that bit is solved for good.