From: "Arthur D." <spinal.by@××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Am I wrong?..
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 14:44:46
1 Hello, happy Gentoo users! I'm new on this distro, so I'm sorry if you
2 consider to be stupid what I gonna say.
3
4 Many of us prefer editors other than nano. Some of us believe in ideas of
5 freedom and choice which Gentoo provides us with. But...
6
7 There're ones who prefer primitive hardcoding over giving the enduser to
8 choose. There're defaults set by someone, that you should respect.
9 Because... Just because he wants so. Because you are nothing. Just another
10 ungrateful user...
11 An example?
12
13 The package SUDO. It is one of the most mandatory packages in distro.
14 But it totally ignores the enduser's favor in editing.
15 It just hardcodes what the ebuild's maintainer decided. Once and forever.
16
17 Do you want to remove nano from your system? DON'T DO THAT! Or you gonna
18 get some issues, you shouldn't get, if the things work as expected.
19
20 I just installed VIM with emerge, and removed nano because I considered
21 it to be absolutely unnecessary in my system. Why I need nano? I am a VIM
22 fan. And here the troubles begin...
23 Run "sudo visudo" and you get this:
24 ~ $ sudo visudo
25 visudo: no editor found (editor path = /bin/nano)
26 ~ $ env | grep -i edit
27 EDITOR=/usr/bin/vim
28
29 What a surprise! Hm... Possibly I did something wrong when setting my
30 system, that terminates me with this error?..
31
32 So I was forced to spend my time analysing what is wrong with the package
33 and how to fix that. Because I remember it was working as expected in my
34 previous LFS (linuxfromscratch) system. My quests leaded me to the ebuild
35 of sudo. And I saw this nice shiny line there:
36 --with-editor=/bin/nano
37
38 Stop. I don't use nano. I even don't have it! But the ebuild doesn't check
39 if nano is installed. No care. It was just like said to me:
40 "Hey, you are just a stupid moron! Who removes default editor? He-he..."
41
42 I asked the ebuild maintainer to fix this behaviour. And what did he say?
43 "You should read manual page of sudo in order to make it work as expected.
44 To make it respect your preferences. And I don't care what editor you
45 prefer. Nano is Gentoo default editor!!! You understand? Stop boring me!
46 I will not change anything! Ha-ha..."
47
48 Actually it was said in other words but the idea is same.
49 Looks like the principle "it just works" is not for Gentoo users.
50
51 If you don't agree with ignoring of your preferences,
52 please vote for this bug:
53 http://bugs.gentoo.org/votes.cgi?action=show_user&bug_id=286017#vote_286017
54
55 P.S. Having defaults is not bad. But they should not override our
56 favourites.
57
58 Thank you.
61 Best regards, Spinal