From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] VirtualBox question on Thinkpad laptop
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 06:30:11
1 Long-story-short; I run ArcaOS (backwards compatable OS/2 successor)
2 as a guest on QEMU on my desktop. The Lenovo Thinkpad has the "vmx" cpu
3 flag, so QEMU is theoretically doable. But the mouse is extremely
4 flakey, to the point of unusability, under QEMU on the Thinkpad. I've
5 tried various tweaks, but no luck. I "asked Mr. Google", but only found
6 other people with the same problem... and no solution.
7
8 Plan B) According to the ARCA NOAE website
9 https://www.arcanoae.com/wiki/arcaos/installation-planning/virtual-machine-configuration/oracle-vm-virtualbox/
10 ArcaOs can be installed in a VirtualBox VM, masquarading as OS/2 (I did
11 say it was backwards compatable).
12
13 Are there any booby-traps to watch out for? What I'm most concerned
14 about is the default "qt5" USE flag. Is VirtualBox usable without the
15 qt5 GUI?
18 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
19 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications