From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cleaning /var/lib/portage/packages -- a big mistake?
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 19:51:50
1 Hello Kevin O'Gorman,
2
3 > I also cleaned out /usr/portage/packages (10 GB) but now emerge --sync
4 > is complaining about a large number of them, and apparently cannot
5 > update its cache. I just moved them to another partition, they're not
6 > really gone, but I'd like to not be carrying around so many of them.
7 >
8 > I've been running with FEATURES="buildpkg" on in /etc/make.conf, so
9 > I've accumulated a lot of
10 > these things. How do I now clean up my act? If there's a way, I'd
11 > like to keep building them, but be able to manage them without ruining
12 > portage.
13
14 You shouldn't be able to damage portage with this, because it doesn't
15 need any binary packages, they are purely for your convenience.
16
17 > Most of the messages said the package "should be deleted". This
18 > mystifies my as in effect
19 > that's what I already did. What does it want me to do?
20 >
21 > The emerge --sync died eventually. Maybe one or more of the packages
22 > is more vital than most. So there may be packages I should not
23 > manage. Here's the tail end of the output:
26 > !!! Invalid binary package: '/usr/portage/packages/All/less-394.tbz2'
27 > !!! This binary package is not recoverable and should be deleted.
28 > !!! Invalid binary package:
29 > '/usr/portage/packages/All/pycrypto-2.0.1-r5.tbz2'
30 > !!! This binary package is not recoverable and should be deleted.
31
32 I suspect you deleted the packages in /usr/portage/packages/All/ but not
33 the symlinks in /usr/portage/packages/cate-gory. emerge symlinks and do
34 symlinks -r -d /usr/portage/packages to get rid of them.
35
36 In future, it may be safer to use eclean to remove your binary packages.
40 Neil Bothwick
41
42 If a book about failures doesn't sell, is it a success?