From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sphinx-2, voice command and dictation
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 05:07:59
1 On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 09:26:47AM -0800, Penguin Lover James Colannino squawked:
2 > So who here has setup Sphinx voice recognition engine and actually used
3 > it for something useful? It looks like an awesome application, but
4 > unfortunately it does seem rather suited for developers, and of course I
5 > know very little about voice recognition. The documents on the homepage
6 > weren't really about using it for a particular purpose as they were
7 > about the way it works, and googling didn't turn much up. What should I
8 > do to get started? Also, does anybody know anything about Sphinx-3 as
9 > opposed to Sphinx-2? Sphinx-3 unfortunately wasn't in portage :(
12 I use sphinx2 and have a rather poorly coded, perl-based, voice
13 control system for my computer. The thing about it is that, from their
14 website, you can compiles a list of words/phrases that you want your
15 program to recognize, which means that once I came up with a suitably
16 diverse set of keywords ("play music" vs "stop noise", with "fast
17 forward" "rewind" etc.) the recognition is almost 100%.
18
19 It is rather convenient to be able to keep my hands on the keyboard
20 typing whatever it is that I am working on and start XMMS using my
21 voice.
22
23 (Also coded in keywords to run fetchmail and have an interactive
24 'biff' =) )
25
26 For those interested, possibly the best way to learn to use sphinx2 is
27 to go through the docs and look at the sample scripts. There's no
28 other was for me figure out the 967-character-long command+options
29 that is needed for my script.
30
31 Best,
32
33 W
34 --
35 ZAPHOD Hey, this rock...
36 FORD Marble...
37 ZAPHOD Marble...
38 FORD Ice-covered marble...
39 ZAPHOD Right... it's as slippery as... as... What's the
40 slipperiest
41 thing you can think of?
42 FORD At the moment? This marble.
43 ZAPHOD Right. This marble is as slippery as this marble.
44
45 - Zaphod and Ford trying to get a grip on things in
46 Brontitall, Fit the Tenth.
47 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 63 days, 21:17
48 --
49 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list