From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Technical imap mail question
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 14:52:51
1 On 2015-10-15, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Why would I use a different smtp server if I'm now using imap? I use
4 > smtp to send mail, and imap to read it, right? Why not use the same
5 > smtp server in either case?
6
7 The only thing I can imagine is that perhaps when you send via the
8 "imap" smtp server, it saves a copy of the outbound mail in a "sent"
9 IMAP folder.
10
11 I've never actually seen a setup like that, and I doubt that's the
12 real answer.
13
14 > (The different server names actually resolve to the same IP address, so
15 > the distinction seems to be more theoretical than real, but the theory
16 > is what puzzles me.)
17
18 Sounds like a normal low-level SNAFU to me...
21 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Can you MAIL a BEAN
22 at CAKE?
23 gmail.com