From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Post-Installation Problem
Date: Thu, 08 May 2014 18:02:43
1 Please don't top post on this list: http://www.idallen.com/topposting.html
2
3 I've fixed it for you on this occasion, please read below.
6 On Thu, 8 May 2014, at 6:37 pm, Hunter Jozwiak <hunter.t.joz@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >
8 > On 5/8/14, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
9 >>
10 >> On Thu, 8 May 2014, at 5:45 pm, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
11 >>>
12 >>>> ... I edited /etc/conf.d/modules
13 >>>> and added two lines:
14 >>>> modules="CONFIG_SPEAKUP"
15 >>>> modules="CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SYNTH_SOFT"
16 >>>> And reemerged the espeakup software; same error message, and on
17 >>>> reboot, no software speech. Am I enabling the modules in an incorrect
18 >>>> manner? If so, how to I get them to work?
19 >>>
20 >>> I don't think those are the correct module names, you can tell by
21 >>> looking at your kernel configs to see what speakup modules you have
22 >>> chosen. Module names do not usually have config_ at the beginning.
23 >>
24 >> I'm not the OP, but this is what I see:
25 >>
26 >> $ zcat /proc/config.gz | grep -i speak
27 >> # Speakup console speech
28 >> CONFIG_SPEAKUP=m
29 >> …
30 >> CONFIG_SPEAKUP_SYNTH_SOFT=m
31 >> …
32 >> $
33 >
34 > I'd assume that module is the m part? As for how to recompile the
35 > genkernel, I'll need to look at that, as I ran genkernel all and am
36 > not certain on building self-made kernels.
39 `zcat /proc/config.gz` shows the configuration of the current kernel (or the configuration with which the current kernel was compiled, I'm not sure).
40
41 So the "=m" in the output I've posted shows that on my system, these options are compiled as modules.
42
43 Compare with these options which are compiled in statically:
44
45 $ zcat /proc/config.gz | grep '=y' | head
46 CONFIG_GENTOO_LINUX=y
47 CONFIG_GENTOO_LINUX_UDEV=y
48 CONFIG_GENTOO_LINUX_INIT_SCRIPT=y
49 CONFIG_GENTOO_LINUX_INIT_SYSTEMD=y
50 CONFIG_64BIT=y
51 CONFIG_X86_64=y
52 CONFIG_X86=y
53 CONFIG_INSTRUCTION_DECODER=y
54 CONFIG_LOCKDEP_SUPPORT=y
55 CONFIG_STACKTRACE_SUPPORT=y
56 $
57
58 If a driver is compiled statically, it is always present in the kernel, and loaded into memory at boot time.
59
60 If a driver is compiled as a module, it is only loaded into memory if and when needed.
61
62 This is an incomplete answer for you, because I know nothing about Genkernel.
63
64 Stroller.