From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub2, chroot, initramfs
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 03:21:12
1 On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 9:53 PM, Hilco Wijbenga
2 <hilco.wijbenga@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On 15 May 2012 19:37, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> I'm trying out grub2 for the first time on my old laptop. I'm
7 >> following the guide at: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2_Quick_Start
8 >> which seems easy enough. Basically just emerge it, install and go.
9 >>
10 >> However... two different questions:
11 >>
12 >> When I did this from a chroot, I just got the GRUB> prompt upon
13 >> rebooting... no menu or anything. I can manually type "linux
14 >> /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3" and then boot into my system. When I run
15 >> grub2-mkconfig from within the chroot, I don't get any "Found linux
16 >> image" lines. It does not create /boot/grub2/grub.cfg but rather
17 >> grub.cfg.new. So I don't know if it's confused about where /boot is or
18 >> what. Is there a trick to installing/updating grub2 config from within
19 >> a chroot?
20 >
21 > I don't really understand where the chroot comes into this but ... did
22 > you add the "-o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg" part? I forgot that bit a few
23 > times and then couldn't figure out why my changes weren't taking
24 > effect. :-)
25
26 Hehe, yeah, I used that command. I'm installing it from chroot for the
27 first time because gentoo's bootloader was not yet present on the
28 machine (only Windows7).