From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 22:44:36
1 On 18/02/2014 13:54, Mark David Dumlao wrote:
2 >> Shouldn't sysadmins use the init-scripts for that?
3 >> > If done correctly, permissions should not be an issue.
4 >> >
5 >> > Restarting services without keeping file ownership into account will
6 >> > always cause issues. Regardless of the init-system used.
7 >> >
8 > That's just the thing though. As a sysadmin, how do you debug a service
9 > that isn't starting to begin with? Let's say your new to the service. You're
10 > not even sure if you got the config right the first time around. Or maybe
11 > you're adjusting a setting somewhere, and you're confused why it
12 > isn't taking effect.
13 >
14 > All the /upstream documentation/, all the /man pages/, all the /usr/share/doc
15 > stuff will tell you to start it _raw_. The init script obscures the
16 > starting options,
17 > environment variables, and sometimes even the running user from you. What are
18 > you gonna do, play a human shell script parser? Nobody's perfect, do it
19 > enough times and you're going to casually gloss over the line where
20 > --safe-mode is appended to the string depending on the phase of
21 > the moon...
22
23 I do all of that, I've been around long enough to have learned. Like
24 yourself.
25
26 ps and tailing a daemon's log file is my standard approach to really
27 verify that a daemon is running. The other side of the coin is I usually
28 start with the distro's init scripts and assume for argument sake they
29 work. When the facts prove that wrong, I dig deeper.
30
31 The list of daemons I use that are not well behaved wrt init scripts are
32 rather short in reality
33
34 > If you're lucky, you've never had to start an unfamiliar service, or debug
35 > someone else's unfamiliar config under time pressure...
38 Nope, not so lucky. Not even close.
39
40 We're getting OT, but by far the worst behaved daemons out there are
41 non-OSS paid-for things for a corproate market. Like Ossec. Oracle
42 databases. Sybase. Anything and everythign that purports to do backups.
43 I shan't mention Oracle's various offerings for business use for fear my
44 brain shall explode.
47 Alan McKinnon
48 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com