From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: What's the value-added of journaling filesystems like ext4?
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2019 20:40:16
1 On 2019-11-04 22:46, n952162 wrote:
2
3 > Ah, I didn't know that about running fsck multiple times - I remember
4 > after doing my home directory - the more important one - it did say
5 > "file system modified". I don't remember if the root fsck said that,
6 > though. But it looks like I'm going to have re-install gentoo, in any
7 > case, because virtualbox is all sitting in lost+found.
8
9 A tip: whatever the virtues of journaling FS, it doesn't hurt to keep
10 around a recovery tool along the lines of app-admin/testdisk.
11
12 It saved my a*e earlier this year when I carelessly scribbled over my
13 archive drive with thousands of pictures. I'd skipped doing
14 ls -l /dev/disk/by-id and thought the output of my dd command was going
15 to a thumb drive I'd just inserted.
18 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
19 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
20 To reply privately _only_ on Usenet and on broken lists
21 which rewrite From, fetch the TXT record for no-use.mooo.com.