From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Grub1: Cant ? Re: keeping grub 1
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 22:38:25
1 On Thursday, August 27, 2015 11:06:25 PM Mick wrote:
2 > On Thursday 27 Aug 2015 21:03:19 Fernando Rodriguez wrote:
3 > > On Thursday, August 27, 2015 8:44:07 PM Mick wrote:
4 > > > On Thursday 27 Aug 2015 20:30:17 Grant Edwards wrote:
5 > > > > On 2015-08-27, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 > > > > > Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards <at> gmail.com> writes:
7 > > > > >> For those of us with multiple Linux installations on a disk, that's
8 > > > > >> a pretty big reason to stick with grub-legacy.
9 > > > > >
10 > > > > > So you are saying (trying to read the 'tea leaves' here) that
11 > > > > > grub legacy ( grub-static-0.97-r12) will work well on a 64 bit
12 > > > > > systems,
13 > > > >
14 > > > > I still use it on all my 64-bit machines.
15 > > > >
16 > > > > > (u)efi with say multiple drives (> 2T) and Raid-1 configs like
17 > > > > > btrfs-native or via lvm?
18 > > > >
19 > > > > I haven't started using UEFI boot mode mode yet, so I don't know how
20 > > > > thetwo grub's compare.
21 > > >
22 > > > UEFI do not need GRUB{1,2} or any other boot manager. They can boot any
23 > > > kernel you drop in the EFI boot partition directly, as long as you set
24 it
25 > > > up so. It becomes cumbersome if you are planning to multiboot various
26 > > > kernels
27 > >
28 > > &
29 > >
30 > > > OS frequently.
31 > >
32 > > You do need a manager like efibootmgr unless you have a really good "bios"
33 > > menu where you can manage your entries. Only removable media is
34 > > autodetected on all EFI boxes I've seen. I use GRUB2 because my efi
35 > > firmware (like most) is really buggy. Changing the boot order doesn't work
36 > > at all (neither on the menu nor through efibootmgr), so I have to delete
37 > > and recreate the entries in the right order. What I did is create 2 efi
38 > > entries, one for my main kernel and one for grub2 and I added entries for
39 > > all my secondary kernels and windows on the grub2 menu.
40 >
41 > Interesting ... here I had no such problems on an EUFI Asus MoBo. I have a
42 > number of kernels (up to six last time I looked) and I can change the boot
43 > order with 'efibootmgr -o <numberA>,<numberB>,...,<numberZ>'
44
45 I didn't mean that all or most have that specific bug. But a lot of them are
46 really buggy. Some have case sensitive FAT drivers, or unusual filename length
47 limits, or will only boot a specific filename like boot.efi. One has come up on
48 this list a couple times with gummyboot that will ignore some entries
49 seemingly at random which I would bet is a firmware bug.
50
51 efibootmgr -o seems to work for me, running efibootmgr again shows that the
52 order has been updated but it is not persisted and when I reboot the previous
53 default entry still boots. The --bootnext option does work for me when I need
54 to boot a different entry just once.
57 Fernando Rodriguez