From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tuning desktop appearance for legibility
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2020 12:09:09
1 On Thu, Sep 03, 2020 at 03:19:01PM -0400, John Blinka wrote:
2
3 > > > 1) How do you cope with this problem?
4 > >
5 > > i cope by these:
6 > >
7 > > - use pixel-based fonts for everything as much
8 > >
9 > > as possible, specially for key apps like:
10 > >
11 > > terminal, window manager and browser.
15 > > they become so much readable. i use
16 > >
17 > > "terminus-font" (and previously used "dina")
18 > >
19 > > in my urxvt as well as my other apps as much
20 > >
21 > > as i can.
25 > > i notice one of the major problems with
26 > >
27 > > fonts is actually not our eyes, but in many
28 > >
29 > > cases how fancy fonts blur. i was
30 > >
31 > > personally amazed by how i could use much
32 > >
33 > > smaller fonts, while maintaining
34 > >
35 > > readability, by simply switching to
36 > >
37 > > pixel-based fonts, such as terminus.
40 > I think I’m ok on fonts with my very hi-res monitor plus noto sans mono
41 > font and white-on-black text wherever possible. Discovered that during my
42 > “tuning” efforts and like the look. Used to use terminus but prefer my
43 > current recipe. Admittedly the clarity is probably only infinitesimally
44 > different from terminus.
45
46 For vector fonts, you can try setting font hinting to maximum. This will
47 give sharp edges even at smaller sizes (provided the font supports it, but
48 for mainstream-fonts such as DejaVu, Noto et al. this shouldn’t be a problem.
51 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
52 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
53
54 We are all in the same boat. Only some are fishing, others are rowing.