From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE 4.1...
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 19:03:46
1 On Donnerstag, 28. August 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Thursday 28 August 2008 17:56:37 Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
3 > > Ben, sorry, my question is OT wrt your message.
4 > >
5 > > Are there indeed good things (I don't mean ruches and flowers) in KDE4 to
6 > > worry about them at all? Reading all those KDE4 reviews I really can not
7 > > understand why KDE4 may be more useful for me rather KDE3.
8 >
9 > Don't even bother trying KDE4 if you have a recent nVidia card. Performance
10 > is atrocious as KDE4 uses acceleration effects in plasma etc that nVidia
11 > didn't account for in their driver, with the results that significant
12 > amounts of rendering are done using a software path (i.e. not in hardware),
13 > which is very slow.
14 >
15 > There also doesn't appear to be any quick fix coming anytime soon.
16
17 well, it was mostly fixed with their latest beta drivers.