From: Daniel <danstemporaryaccount@×××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] FTP Server
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 19:09:43
1 On Tuesday 06 June 2006 11:38, JimD wrote:
2 > Does anyone have any suggestions/preferences to a secure FTP server
3 > for Gentoo?
4
5 You've already heard a number of good suggestions here. I will state my
6 support for the WinSCP option with one additional suggestion: Turn off
7 shell access for the user in /etc/passwd and replace it with sftp like
8 so:
9
10 dad:x:1001:1001::/home/dad:/usr/lib/misc/sftp-server
11
12 That way, if his box gets compromised, the intruder doesn't have a shell
13 on your machine, just the ability to delete your dad's website ;-)
14
15 Additionally, you may want to look into disabling password access
16 alltogether for SSH instead opting for keys only. They can be
17 restricted at the application layer (in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys) to
18 reject requests for a login based on originating IP as well as key
19 authentication.
20
21 Frontpage is terrible, GoLive is comparable to Frontpage and Dreamweaver
22 sucks... less. They're all guilty of using deprecated tags everywhere
23 and they all create a dependency on the GUI rather than Doing It Right.
24 I very much recommend Homesite, as it's less susceptible to the typical
25 Dreamweaver-esque blunders.
26
27 Lastly, I believe Dreamweaver, in combination with Putty can play nice
28 with SFTP, and Homesite may very well be the same given that they're
29 currently owned by the same company (Macromedia)
32 Overspecialize, and you breed in weakness. It's slow death.
33 - Ghost in the Shell
34 --
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list