From: Nils Freydank <nils.freydank@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is it that hard to add a package, or am I doing wrong?
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 02:51:04
1 Hi Danny,
2
3 first I want to thank you for submitting your ebuild, and I'm quite sorry to
4 see another contributor who doesn't get responses for a long while. This is no
5 evil intention, just a lack of manpower and the lack of someone maintaining
6 your "new" package. (This was what jstein meant with his response[1]).
7 Additionally bugzilla is seen as too impractical to use for new packages that
8 many don't get much attention there, only on github.com.
9
10 However, within Gentoo every package needs a maintainer to avoid dead packages
11 inside our tree (which then get no security nor "normal" bug fixes). Packages
12 with "maintainer needed" state had one, but he or she just dropped the work.
13 If you have some spare time you can become a proxied maintainer, meaning you
14 maintain the package without being a Gentoo dev. As git distinguishs author
15 and commiter you get also a proper attribution for your work.
16
17 The workflow in general is that you clone the git repo and create branch, add
18 your ebuild, open a git PR on github.com[2] and get reviews from devs. You can
19 find more details in some wiki articles[3].
20
21 Unfortunately it takes a bunch of time until packages are merged, because of
22 the mentioned lack of manpower on the devs' side, aswell as plenty mistakes
23 new proxied maintainers tend to implement in ebuilds (myself included here).
24
25 I hope that helps you,
26 Nils
29 [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/638446#c1