From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [WAY OT] wanna learn networking internals
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2015 20:57:40
1 Francisco Ares <frares <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > Hi,
5 > Sorry for such WAY out of topic message, but Gentoo users are also way out
6 of regular computer users.
7 >
8 > I intend to learn more deep details about networking intrinsics, (packets,
9 ports, negotiation, UDP, multicast, unicast, TCP, ethernet, DHCP, protocols,
10 and so on) so I decided to recur to this list.  Googling the terms, just
11 gets me to network administration and equipment interconnection.
12 >
13 > Any hints on web resources for this research?
14 >
15 > Thanks a lot and
16 >
17 > Best Regards,
18 > Francisco
22 You can always build your own router, and learn about those internals
23 as they come up while setting up your home router. All you need
24 are some old PC parts laying around, gentoo and this guide [1].
25 Iptables if a really cool network applications as is Network Address
26 Translation (NAT).
29 Also reading key "RFCs" is the way to go [2]. But try not to get hung up
30 On the really cool RFCs like OSPF or SIP, as they are ever evolving
31 and looking at sources it actually better.
34 Last, I suggest a parallel learning of C/C++ as it really helps with
35 unix/linux/networking if can look at software sources and see what is going
36 on. Bash and Python are really important too. It's a lifelong journey, so
37 relax and enjoy the experiences and try not to get frustrated.
40 hth,
41 James
42
43 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Home_Router