From: lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X11 + framebuffer - does it work?
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 06:19:01
1 On Saturday 15 April 2006 07:55 pm, Richard Fish wrote:
2 > On 4/15/06, Rohit and Bhavana <bhavhit@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > Is there anyone on the list who has the following configured on their
6 > > workstations?
7 > >
8 > > * bootsplash giving them a nice picture at the startup [ in runlevel
9 > > boot]
10
11 I do that on my laptop. IBM X40 Type 2386-1CU with some weird Intel Extreme
12 Graphics II chip I've never previously heard of and honestly don't want to
13 see again (it really sucks - the X40's wonderfully light though, I'd
14 reccommend it any day! Works perfectly with Linux, too!)
15
16 > > * bootsplash giving them a nice picture later [ in runlevel default]
17
18 You mean like the livecd-2006.0 theme? Where it has pretty framebuffer
19 graphics and puts console at 1024x768 (a must-have, IMHO) but then has a
20 picturized boot process? Yeah, I do that. Then by whacking F2 I can go back
21 to the verbose process but still with the pretty graphics.
22
23 The info you need is in http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_fbsplash (as reccommended
24 to me by Bo Andresen).
25
26 > > * Then X11 starting on their nvidia card configured with xf86 or
27 > > xorg with X working in default runlevel
28
29 On my server I'm working to get spash working with an nVidia card. The
30 problems aren't from the nVidia card, however, but rather from Genkernel,
31 which I find totally inferior to make in every way (why do I need to
32 recompile the whole kernel every time? I know, I've been spoiled by only
33 compiling what's changed).
34
35 > > * Switching back to consol with control-alt-F[n] and being able to
36 > > work without locking up your box - and without framebuffer
37 > > corruption.
38
39 Never had a problem here. When I kill X11 and KDM for a console login, it
40 goes back to the beautified console, but sacrificing no functionality that I
41 know of.
42
43 > I have all of this working on my Dell e1705 laptop. Significant details:
44 >
45 > 2.6.15-suspend2-r8
46 > [ebuild R ] media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.8756 0 kB
47 > [ebuild R ] x11-base/xorg-server-1.0.2-r3 USE="dri -debug -ipv6
48 > -minimal -xprint" 0 kB
49 >
50 > Also I use the vesafb-tng framebuffer driver.
51 >
52 > > If yes, then if you know anyone has everything working, I would be
53 > > obliged to note the version numbers etc and any pointers.
54 > >
55 > > - not being clear about difference between gensplash and bootsplash
56 > > [they seem to serve the same purpose] which one should I use on my
57 > > system. Should I emerge one, or both or one of them and themes for both?
58
59 I used splashutils with great success. I can't comment about any others
60 though - I've never tried them.
61
62 > I would suggest not dealing with bootsplash issues at this point, and
63 > work on getting a stable framebuffer working. Once you have that, the
64 > bootsplash side of things is pretty straight-forward.
65
66 I'd reccommend that Wiki. I walked through it and came out alive, and with
67 linux looking artful enough to shut up all the Windoze zealots that I am
68 burdened to come into contact with.