From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd and lvm
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 16:22:29
1 On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 11:10 AM, <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 12 2013, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
3 >
4 >> Am 12.09.2013 08:50, schrieb Mick:
5 >>> On Wednesday 11 Sep 2013 12:38:23 Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
6 >>>> Am 11.09.2013 13:22, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:
7 >>>>> Failed to set a proper state for notification semaphore
8 >>>>> identified by cookie value
9 >>>>
10 >>>> Also found this:
11 >>>>
12 >>>> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-965446-view-previous.html?sid=5c1f845f
13 >>>>
14 >>>>
15 >> 96ca4cf1a9c17d73501e232d
16 >>>>
17 >>>> I have
18 >>>>
19 >>>> # zgrep UEV /proc/config.gz CONFIG_UEVENT_HELPER_PATH=""
20 >>>> CONFIG_DM_UEVENT=y
21 >>>>
22 >>>> so this is not my solution here ...
23 >>>
24 >>> I wonder if adding CONFIG_UEVENT_HELPER_PATH="/sbin/hotplug" would
25 >>> help you here.
26 >>
27 >> I don't have that binary. And some page on my way said the contrary:
28 >> set it to empty and let udev (?) do that.
29 >
30 > The wiki says to have it blank. I just started working with the
31 > systemd-wiki people and this is unsettled. Some are using
32 > /sbin/hotplug. I believe there is not much experience to go on.
33 > I will be trying to go to systemd with /sbin/hotplug.
34
35 Do you even have /sbin/hotplug? I don't, in any of my machines, and I
36 don't even remember when was the last time I saw it.
37
38 From the git live systemd README [1]:
39
40 Legacy hotplug slows down the system and confuses udev:
41 CONFIG_UEVENT_HELPER_PATH=""
42
43 From the kernel own help file:
44
45 config UEVENT_HELPER_PATH
46 string "path to uevent helper"
47 default ""
48 help
49 Path to uevent helper program forked by the kernel for
50 every uevent.
51
52 Before the switch to the netlink-based uevent source, this was
53 used to hook hotplug scripts into kernel device events. It
54 usually pointed to a shell script at /sbin/hotplug.
55 This should not be used today, because usual systems create
56 many events at bootup or device discovery in a very short time
57 frame. One forked process per event can create so many processes
58 that it creates a high system load, or on smaller systems
59 it is known to create out-of-memory situations during bootup.
60
61 To disable user space helper program execution at early boot
62 time specify an empty string here. This setting can be altered
63 via /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug or via /sys/kernel/uevent_helper
64 later at runtime.
65
66 Really, whomever is recommending to set CONFIG_UEVENT_HELPER_PATH is
67 probably wrong. I can't find *one* place where it is recommended, and
68 several where they explicitly say to leave the option in blank.
69
70 Regards.
71
72 [1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/README