From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] qt3support: only in /etc/make.conf, never in /etc/portage/package.use
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 10:18:03
1 On Monday 03 May 2010 03:21:29 Dale wrote:
2
3 > I rarely put a USE flag in anything but make.conf. Usually, if I
4 > need support for something, it is more than one package or that one
5 > package will want the support enabled for other packages it builds
6 > on as well.
7
8 One exception I suggest is mysql. If you put that USE flag in make.conf,
9 every application you install that can use a database back-end will be
10 built with it, adding unneeded complexity.
11
12 > I have disabled a USE flag in package.use before tho. That seems to
13 > work OK almost all the time. -doc and -hal come to mind without even
14 > looking at the file.
15
16 And I have this in package.use:
17 www-client/links -X -jpeg -png -tiff -directfb -fbcon -sdl
18
19 That's most useful during system installation, but as I only use links
20 at a VT I don't bother to change its flags later.
23 Rgds
24 Peter.