From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] convert wmv to mp4?
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 18:20:46
1 On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 05/01/2012 11:52 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >> I'm looking around on the web for ways to convert wmv files to mp4. So
4 >> far the most common solution seems to be ffmpeg but when I try that it
5 >> doesn't seem to understand the video files. The most common type of
6 >> comment people give is that this should be straight forward if 32-bit
7 >> codecs are installed. I'm running 64-bit and don't see what flags I
8 >> might need to set to get that?
11 > Can you play the WMV?
12 >
13 > The "wmv" extension usually indicates an ASF container, and the ASF
14 > container can have DRM. I see them every once in a while, and
15 > ffmpeg/mplayer have no idea what to do with them.
18 I Cannot play the files on my Gentoo box using Linux. No player that
19 I've tried so far - xine, mplayer, dragon player in KDE - none of them
20 play these files. However I can play the files within a Win7 VM on
21 this machine which is what I've been doing this morning so far. I sort
22 of doubt the DRM restriction on this stuff. The web site asks
23 subscribers not to farward these to their friends, etc., and says
24 subscribers are on the honor system. They appears to be simple
25 recordings of of his screen and audio coming from an inexpensive mic.
26 Nothing more.
27
28 I just got access to these files today so until this morning I didn't
29 even know what format they'd be in.