From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 11:08:45
1 Matti Nykyri wrote:
2 > On Mar 22, 2014, at 12:34, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 22/03/2014 01:46, Tom Wijsman wrote:
5 >>> On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 00:34:55 +0200
6 >>> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> 2. A discussion forum. For these you do munge Reply-To: to be the list
9 >>>> so all discussion happens on-list and is visible to all
10 >>>>
11 >>>> gentoo-user has always been the latter and all discussion always takes
12 >>>> place on-list. If some doc somewhere says otherwise, change the doc to
13 >>>> reflect reality.
14 >>> http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/lists.xml mentions it is about support
15 >>> too, and people that are here to be supported don't necessarily want to
16 >>> follow the discussion that comes along as well; thus unsubscribe
17 >>> before an answer or not subscribe at all in the first place, they then
18 >>> instead rely on receiving a mail regardless of that.
19 >>>
20 >>> CC-ing ensures that the minutes spent on the answer make it reach the
21 >>> person; relying on that they are (still) subscribed, I can waste time.
22 >>>
23 >>> See the most recent mail I sent before this for details.
24 >>>
25 >>
26 >> I disagree.
27 >>
28 >> Your default position on things seems to be to favour the theoretical
29 >> position over the reality. I'm the opposite, being a sysadmin and not a
30 >> developer I'm a realist and not a theoretician. I work with the way
31 >> things are and really only look at the theory when stuff is proven broken.
32 >>
33 >> What is currently happening is you are sending mails directly addressed
34 >> to me so they do not get filtered and end up cluttering my already full
35 >> inbox. You are breaking my filters.
36 >>
37 >> I do not want to receive list mail from you addressed directly to me, I
38 >> want it addressed to the list.
39 >>
40 >> I do want you to fix your mailer so that you stop inconveniencing me.
41 >> And I would *really* prefer not to have to tweak my filters to
42 >> accommodate you. I'd rather you do that heavy lifting (on account of you
43 >> causing it).
44 >>
45 >> Do you see what I'm getting at?
46 > I agree. I think it is arrogant to disturb lots of people that have done nothing to deserve it. People should be let to choose them self what they wanna do with their lives. If they wish to disengage some conversation, let them. Don't send them spam. The ones who wish to participate will stay on the list and the ones seeking for an answer can browse the archives.
47 >
48 > Please respect other people.
51 +1 to both Matti and Alan. If he decides to change this and does, let
52 me know. I'll consider removing the blacklist. There is no need making
53 no telling how many people change their settings just because one person
54 refuses too.
55
56 To the point about folks unsubscribing, if they do unsubscribe from the
57 list, it may be because they got what they want and do NOT want any more
58 messages. I don't recall EVER sending a email to someone offlist unless
59 I was asked to or had to send some large attachement that the other
60 person wanted and I didn't want to send to the list. If I unsubscribed
61 from this list, I would expect emails regarding this list to stop.
62
63 At least I know now why folks told me what they did when I first
64 joined. I'm just glad I wasn't so thick headed to not listen. I
65 adjusted my settings and been here ever since. < insert thumbs up here >
66
67 Dale
68
72 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!