From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] expat update (was:Update After a Year)
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 06:55:26
1 On Thursday 10 January 2008, b.n. wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick ha scritto:
3 > > The expat upgrade was less than a year ago for stable systems.
4 >
5 > Sorry if hijacking the thread, but: it's a long time I have
6 > expat-1.9.6 and, even if 2.0.1 is in portage, emerge -av world
7 > doesn't tell me to upgrade (I guess emerge -Dav would, but why should
8 > I?). Should I do nonetheless, or can I wait?
9
10 I find emerge -uND world every so often is a good idea, as updates are
11 then incremental and I can deal with problems one at a time instead of
12 lots all at once.
13
14 I don't know of any good reason why you *should* upgrade to expat-2.0.1
15 right now, other than simply staying up to date. Be prepared to become
16 good friends with revdep-rebuild when you *do* do it, the upgrade
17 caused huge numbers of broken linkages to libexpat.so.0
18
19 alan
23 Alan McKinnon
24 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com