From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Sound card is only usable by one application at a time
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2009 16:46:22
1 On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 04:44:50 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
2 wrote:
3 > On 12/04/2009 03:12 AM, walt wrote:
4 >> Most people don't have any need for more than one application to use
5 >> the sound card at the same time.
6 >
7 > I was under the impression that it's quite the opposite. For example I
8 > would still like to hear my MSN messenger go *ping* when someone talks
9 > to me while I'm listening to some mp3 and/or am playing a game.
10
11 Definitely, *most* do need support for software mixing. I am not on the
12 boat of notifications or system sounds, but most users are, and all the
13 major desktops do enable sound notifications by default, and all the major
14 IM programs do as well.
15
16 I like austerity so I don't use these little things, but even for me this
17 is a must. I might have many sound tracks playing at a given moment while I
18 practice with my guitar. Heck, even for youtube this is a must, because the
19 plugin likes to trap the sound card, and you can't even listen to another
20 video if you have another tab with youtube on it, even if the video in that
21 tab is not playing nor even paused.
22
23 So, yes. Definitely, 99% of the users need software mixing.
24
25 However, it is not true that you need pulse for that. That's what the dmix
26 alsa plugin is for. The problem is not that alsa can't do it. The problem
27 is that alsa is buggy as hell and should really be fixed. Or, it should be
28 simplified to provide only the basic functionality, rip out all the crap
29 and do it in user land, with either pulse, jack or whatever. The problem is
30 that there are many layers like alsa and pulse that don't have a clear
31 delimitation, they overlap functionality, duplicate code and bloat the
32 system making it prone to bugs and stuff like this. The sound system in
33 linux is in a pitiful state right now :P
34 --
35 Jesús Guerrero