From: felix@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo on the Sales block?
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 00:00:31
1 On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 11:47:04PM +0000, James wrote:
2 >
3 > I only ask because Sun just paid
4 > a billion dollars for MySQL....
5
6 Sun paid a billion dollars for the COMPANY which owns the copyright to
7 MySQL. Someone controls Gentoo, be it the foundation (which may or
8 may not actually exist at the moment) or who knows who. If those
9 people, or the foundation, want to "sell" Gentoo, I reckon they could,
10 but they would get only the name and a few servers. No doubt everyone
11 else would merely fork the GPL'd sources and keep on going.
12
13 MySQL is also GPL, but most of the development is paid for by the
14 for-profit company which Sun just bought, so a fork is unlikely.
15
16 > How is it that Open Source is for sale?
17
18 Open Source is not for sale and was not sold, neither is GPL'd Free
19 Software. Someone could no doubt buy some FLOSS copyrights from the
20 owners, but the GPL'd versions would still be out there and not for
21 sale; someone who wanted to "buy" already released sources would have
22 to buy up every public copy and every copy ever downloaded, and sign
23 the "sellers" (if they can even be called that) to promise to wipe
24 their drives. They would, literally, have to buy every copy on the
25 planet, whether on current computers, backups, books, it would not
26 matter.
27
28 You need to read the GPL, the BSD license, the Perl Artistic license,
29 etc, and stop panicing. Once released, FLOSS cannot be recalled. The
30 copyrights can be bought, but the previously released versions are
31 still out there under their FLOSS license and could only be recalled
32 by that massive buyback I described, which could charitably be called
33 less realistic than a snowball fight in Hell.
37 Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@×××××××.com
38 GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E 6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933
39 I've found a solution to Fermat's Last Theorem but I see I've run out of room o
40 --
41 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list