From: nunojsilva@×××××××.pt
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: No server profile anymore???
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 23:30:44
1 On 2013-02-10, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > On 10/02/2013 19:25, Jarry wrote:
4 >
5 >> !!! Your current profile is deprecated and not supported anymore.
6 >> !!! Use eselect profile to update your profile.
7 >> !!! Please upgrade to the following profile if possible:
8 >> default/linux/amd64/13.0
9 [...]
10 >> So is server-profile not suported anymore??? I hope devs had
11 >> good reason for this, but anyway a change like *this* should
12 >> definitely be communicated with users in advance...
13 [...]
14 > [1] OK, the news items, or more specifically the lack of timeous news
15 > items in advance. This is the second occurrence in recent times where
16 > devs have had to do some back-pedalling, the first was udev with it's
17 > TMPDEVFS fiasco. I myself am getting a teeny bit pissed off with this
18 > now. I think a large collection of user should pen a nice polite letter
19 > to whomever deals with such things asking for more attention to be paid
20 > to QA matters like this.
21
22 +1
23
24 I have no doubts that devs have lots of work to do, but it's a rather
25 serious situation if the difference between unstable and stable land is
26 *not* used as an advantage when it comes to deal with situations like
27 this and udev's kernel requirements and network rules.
28
29 I guess a good rule of thumb would be: if a stabilization/profile change
30 or introduced error message will require users to change their settings
31 by hand, change their kernel config to match new requirements in order
32 to have an usable system or to treat some packages/flags in a different
33 way, this should not go forward until a news item has been prepared to
34 notify users about it.
37 Nuno Silva (aka njsg)
38 http://njsg.sdf-eu.org/