From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New HD monitor stretches everything. How to teach Xorg?
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 00:00:53
1 On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 4:10 PM, dhk <dhkuhl@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 > On 08/24/2010 06:59 PM, Paul Hartman wrote:
4 > > On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 5:37 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >> Paul Hartman wrote:
6 > >>>
7 > >>> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 5:07 PM, Kevin O'Gorman<kogorman@×××××.com>
8 > >>> wrote:
9 > >>>
10 > >>>>
11 > >>>> Yah, I might have some luck with that. Since I'm years out of
12 > practice
13 > >>>> fooling with this stuff (last seen in 2002) can someone point me at
14 > the
15 > >>>> tools for
16 > >>>> 1) Computing a modeline (I understand the quality varies a lot)
17 > >>>> 2) Configuring an xorg.conf
18 > >>>>
19 > >>>
20 > >>> Check out x11-apps/amlc -- it has an interactive modeline generator
21 > >>> where you tell it the aspect ratio& size of your screen and it spits
22 > >>> out modelines for you. You'll still need to fill in the
23 > >>> HSync/VSync/Clock speed stuff.
26 [SNIP]
29 > My monitor resolution is a little off after the last Xorg upgrade today.
30 > Everything looks larger than usual. As far as this email thread goes,
31 > I thought xorg.conf was obsolete.
34 It should be obsolete in a modern system (if you trust hal, udev, etc.), but
35 the relevant parts include the video card which is very much non-modern.
38 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD