From: JimD <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A couple projects on my laptop
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 23:21:47
1 Timothy A. Holmes wrote:
2
3 > Hi folks
4 >
5 > I have a couple of issues on my laptop that I would like to get wrapped
6 > up in the easiest method possible
7 >
8 > 1. Flashcards / memory sticks
9 > - Right now -- in order to mount my camera cards / thumb drives
10 > -- I have to become root -- its easy, but an annoyance - I have looked
11 > at automount and that is FAR more problems than im willing to go through
12 > (the shortest set of instructions ive seen so far for automount is like
13 > 3 pages), so if I could get it set up so that I can just do the mount
14 > commands as my user instead of having to su it would be nice
15
16 Google for "gentoo dbus" or "gentoo hal". You want three programs.
17 Hal, D-Bus and ivman. Hal and gentoo are real easy, you basically
18 emerge and have them start at boot. ivman is the app that listens for
19 events and will carry out actions in a nice and easy xml file. There is
20 a system wide config and a per-user config. You can tell it to launch
21 totem/xine/mplayer if a DVD is inserted or mount your camera, usb key, etc.
22
23 > 2. Energy saver thingy
24 > - after about 10 minutes or so of inactivity, the screen shuts
25 > off under power saver -- I cant seem to find how to prevent this from
26 > happening, and could use some guidance
27
28 Is it a BIOS thing? What kind of laptop? I have a new Toshiba laptop
29 and Toshiba did away with a real BIOS for some custom one with very few
30 settings.
31
32 > 3. I need a good VPN Client with easy gui
33 > - right now our school has a VPN set up on the cisco pix that
34 > works beautifully with a Microsoft VPN connection on a windows box, I
35 > need to be able to access this with my gentoo laptop as well
36
37 I can't help here. I have to use a Nortel VPN client. Their Linux
38 version just doesn't work. I paid $100 for it! My only option has been
39 to use VMWare and vpn into work that way. I needed VMWare anyway for MS
40 Dev stuff. I think I read somewhere that it is pretty easy to connect
41 to ciso VPN with Linux. A quick eix search shows these ebuilds:
42
43 jim@kaleb $ eix -Ss -c cisco
44 [N] dev-perl/Net-Telnet-Cisco (): Automate telnet sessions w/
45 routers&switches
46
47 [N] net-analyzer/ipcad (): IP Cisco Accounting Daemon
48
49 [N] net-analyzer/ndsad (): Cisco netflow probe from libpcap, ULOG,
50 tee/divert sources.
51
52 [N] net-misc/cisco-aironet-client-utils (): Cisco Aironet Client Utilities
53
54 [N] net-misc/cisco-vpnclient-3des (): Cisco VPN Client (3DES)
55
56 [N] net-misc/vpnc (): Free client for Cisco VPN routing software
57
58 > 4. I need to be able to use a USB to Serial dongle to talk to my
59 > switches -- the adapters that I have are Triplite ones and I do have the
60 > driver disk for windows -- along with this, I need a good communications
61 > program (equivalent to hyperterm ) to use with them to talk to my
62 > switches and to my UPS
63
64 I never used one. However I just compiled my kernel and there seems to
65 be a whole bunch. Run make menuconfig and take a look at:
66
67 Device Drivers -> USB support -> USB Serial Converter support
68
69 > Thanks folks - any pointers and/or suggestions are gladly welcomed
70 >
71 > TIM
72 >
73 > Medina Christian Academy