From: Brandon Vargo <brandon.vargo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NVidia setup instructions?
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 22:58:11
1 On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 15:24 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Thanks Brandon. I'm up in X now on the 6200 AGP so it's functional.
3 > glxgears seems sort of slow at about 230FPS but I probably don't have
4 > things set up right yet.
5 >
6 > I had questions about the setup instructions as I went through it.
7 >
8 > 1) Do you completely drop out DRI support in the kernel? Seems this
9 > document says not to load the dri driver in xconf and it wasn't shown
10 > in the kernel options so I took it out. Maybe that should be enabled?
11
12 I do not have direct rendering enabled in my kernel, and I have never
13 heard of it being needed for nvidia cards. The nvidia kernel module
14 takes care of that as far as I know.
15
16 > 2) I used to have /dev/agpgart and framebuffer suppport as modular but
17 > this setup doc seemed to go with built-in so I switched to that. I do
18 > have the Intel chipset AGP GART support as modular and it does load
19 > OK. Not sure if I should use that or NVidia's?
20
21 I have always compiled the framebuffer support into the kernel so that I
22 can use it for the console when the system starts booting, before any
23 modules are loaded. I've never tried to compile it as a module.
24 Regardless, if the module is going to be loaded anyways every time you
25 boot, and you don't have any special options to pass to the module, it's
26 usually best to compile into the kernel.
27
28 I'm not familiar with AGP, as my system does not support it, nor have I
29 ever used Intel graphics in conjunction with any other graphics chips,
30 sorry.
31
32 > No problems getting the card up and running. Now it's a matter of
33 > figuring out how to do it right. I am using hald but it wouldn't load
34 > the nvidia driver automatically, opting for the nv driver. Do you have
35 > that problem? Should I put it in modules.autoload?
36
37 I had this problem with a NVidia 9600 GSO in a machine I was setting up
38 as part of a computational cluster when trying to use X's
39 autoconfiguration (no xorg.conf at all). X would try to load the nv
40 driver, even though I had not even compiled it. Creating a simple
41 xorg.conf and specifying the nvidia driver in a device section loaded
42 the nvidia driver fine. modules.autoload should not be necessary. The
43 nvidia module should be automatically loaded when X starts with the
44 nvidia driver.
45
46 Regards,
47